May is such a wonderful time of year to work in a school. We take the time to appreciate teachers with intention. All of the rigor of testing and conferences is settled. There is even lots of daylight left after we depart the building for the day!
Spring is a time to savor. Sure, there is still a lot to do and the weeks leading up to the end of the school year often feel like a sprint. But there is also a warm sense of accomplishment that pairs well with the spring air. We can see all of the progress the children made and we know we made a difference.
We also know that summer fun is almost here!
Even if your school serves children in some way during the summer months, there is still something special about the season. You want to make the most of it.
Yet, I often see that school leaders (and teachers, for that matter) step into the summer with big intentions but no plan. This often results in them looking back and feeling like the whole season disappeared before they could do what they wanted to do. It has certainly happened to me.
This year, I encourage you to make a plan to maximize your summer intentions for your personal life and for your leadership. Today, we’re going to focus on getting the most for yourself out of the summer. (Next week, we dive into building a leadership strategy for the summer. Stay tuned!)
Let’s break down a few steps you can take right now to ensure your summer doesn’t disappear before you have the fun you intend. You work so hard and you really deserve to take time to indulge in pure pleasure with the people you love most. Don’t deny yourself this opportunity.
- List your summer obligations: What do you know you are already committed to this summer? This might include weddings, showers, conferences, vacations, work obligations, plans to move, etc. Get everything you know you need to do down in one place.
- List your summer “wants”: What are the things you really want to do this summer? Don’t filter right now, put everything down. Right now is the time to dream big about the experiences and people you want to make space for in your life.
There.That’s everything you need to make a plan! Seriously, it’s that easy to get started, which is why you should just go ahead and do this today.
- Schedule your obligations: Start by putting everything in your “obligations” list into your calendar. You have to be realistic about how much space/time you really have for all of your “wants.”
- Assess your free time: Once everything is in the calendar, do an assessment of your calendar to see where there is space for fun. Write down the dates and times when you are free for a new experience or connection with your people.
- Prioritize your “wants”: Root through your list and identify items that you know for sure aren’t realistic this year. Set them aside in a document dedicated to your dreams (I’m serious) so that you can remember those ideas later. Take what is left and pick the top 3-7 things you want to make happen for sure.
You know what you have to do, what you want to do, and how much time you have to do it. The only thing left to do now is start making it happen with action! Setting intentions only works if you do something to put them in motion.
- Reach out to people: Do you want to connect with certain people? Send them a message and get the ball rolling! You know when you are free. Propose some dates and times and just make it happen.
- Buy the tickets: If you have the means, just buy all the tickets and put things on the calendar. If you can’t do it all at once, pick the events you want to attend and put them in your calendar. Then, set another calendar reminder for the day you are going to buy tickets based on what you know about your personal cash flow.
- Put it on the calendar: Whatever you want to make space for this summer, put it in your calendar right now. Daily walks? Schedule it. Drinks with friends? Schedule it. Calls to your loved ones? Schedule it. Just take the time to make space for what you care about most and then you will have the space you need to do the things you care about most. Crazy, right?
- Remember the value of nothing: In the midst of this flurry of scheduling, don’t forget the spectacular wonder of an obligation-free day. Go ahead and pick a few days where you schedule an all-day event called “nothing” and mark yourself busy.
I know how much effort you put into your daily work. You and every other school leader and educator out there inspire me. There is no doubt in my mind that you deserve to fill your summer with experiences that inspire you and people who bring you joy.
Take some time today to make room for them.
You deserve it, and so do they!
Once you wind down your relaxing summer of fun, you will be in a great mindset to launch the new school year. That is the perfect time to invest in a little bit of coaching and support. It would be such an honor to work with you during the coming fall semester.
Have you thought about investing in yourself as a leader? Click here to learn more about coaching with me!
30 Day School Leadership E-Course
Leadership Course Includes:
1.) Montessori Leadership book by RB Fast
2.) Guide to an organized office
3.) Unique time management strategies
4.) Emotionally intelligent leadership interview w/ expert Kari Knutson
5.) Guide to transparent and visionary school leadership
6.) Seven strategies for building trust with parents
Join today and get 30 days of free leadership resources right to your inbox!